Brookton's Market

Market then
Market Now
1900
2016

“William Gale had a tin shop on this site for a few years before the Civil War. Then brothers Frank, Charles, and Fred Mulks operated the store well into the 1920s. The Post Office was at the back with its own door, and while Fred Mulks operated the store, he also served as postmaster. A plaster mill once stood on the site of the present store‚Äôs parking lot.”1

The building won the Historic Ithaca preservation award [in 2009] for the restoration work done by Debby Halpern and her son, Avi Smith.

  1. Barbara Kone, Destination Caroline, 2007, p. 2