“When the railroad trestle was completed across Six Mile Creek gorge at Mott’s Corners and a depot was built on the southeast side, the hamlet was renamed Brookton. Confusion developed because of handwriting and spelling differences, and mail for Brookton often went to Brooklyn or Brockton. In an attempt to cure the problem, ‘dale’ was added to the name and since February, 1926 the name has been Brooktondale.”1
- Barbara B. M. Kone, et. al., A History of the Town of Caroline,, p. 25.